The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Hello, Our Amana refrigerator is not cool enough, and we ...

Customer Question

Hello, Our Amana refrigerator is not cool enough, and we have turned it to the coldest setting. The bottom freezer is working fine, however. We vacuumed the coils 48 hours ago, and the temperature decreased a bit, but it''s still too high. Can it be repaired, or is it time to replace it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

What is the model number of your unit, please?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It's an Amana BR18*. It feels cool again, but not really cold. Oddly, at the setting of 7 or 7 it was somewhat cool, and when I lowered the setting to 5 of 7 it got a little cooler. We're puzzled.

Thank you!

Sounds like it might be a bad thermostat.

Have you tried putting it on 1 just to see what happens? It would be nice, albeit a bit embarressing, (don't worry I promise not to laugh........too much) if this was the problem.

I will need the complete model number if you have it, please. The * indicates that there may be more.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Hello,

Given our home maintenance abilities, the scenario with the dial turned the wrong way wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility...but this time we're innocent.

I dug through some papers and found model number BR18V. Why they couldn't just put that on the door instead of BR18* is a mystery. Is the thermostat something worth having repaired?

Hmmm.

That number does not sound familliar, but I will look through what service manuals I have for amanas' and see what I can see. I will return shortly. (10 minuits)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It has a bottom freezer, and no icemaker.

Ok.

I do have a manual that covers your unit. It is a general service manual that covers 19, 20, and 22 cubic feet bottom mount refrigerators in general. Any special features will not be covered.

I will upload it for your retrival, It will take about 15-30 minuits depending on the server load.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you!