The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

ICE MAKER . CUBES ALL STICK TOGETHER.

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

Hi Customer;

What is the make and model number of your unit, please? The ice maker and the refrigerator.

If the ice cubes are freezing together in the storage tray it is a freezer temprature problem. If they are coming out of the ice maker then it is going to be an ice maker problem.

Awaiting your reply; The Home Smithy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: number in back is TFX245LR   0325
ALMOND   MAKE IS GE

THE ICEMAKER IS MAKING ICE CUBES BUT ALL STICK TOGRTHER IN STORAGE TRAY.

Ok it sounds like you have a thermistor that is not functioning correctly.

What I have done is upload the service manual for your unit. It has all the diagnostic proceedures and is clearly illustrated.
You can get it by clicking here.

To download this file:

On the first page scroll down to the bottom and select "FREE"

On the next page enter the letters in the box and select "download"

Save the file to your hard drive and open it with a .pdf reader. I recommend FoxIt reader. (foxit.com) Its smaller than adobe and no spyware.
If there is something in the manual that you do not understand just post here, and I will walk you through the proceedure.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD SELECTING THE "FREE" OPTION
I HAVE ADOBE FOR PDF FILE. PLEASE ADVISE
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

Hi Customer,

Smithy is off line at the moment. I'm sure he'll be back to check on stuff soon.

However, a couple things about the download from there that might help.

AOL does not seem to work on that site. Use Internet Explorer.

If you got that put in the letters for the Cat thing. That can be bit tricky and sometimes it can take a couple of trys before you get it.

Yes, adobe will open the PDF file after you download it. By the way you should choose "open" when the question comes up (not save). Then you can click on "File" to save it to your computer.

I will opt out so that Smithy can resume with you. However, I will monitor also so that you're not alone.

bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD.TRIED SEVERAL TIMES.
MESSAGE."DOWNLOAD CANNOT BE PROVIDED CHECK YOUR BROWSER TO SEE IF IT SUPPORTS JAVASCRIPT"
I USE MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER.
CAN YOU E MAIL IT TO ME.   THANK YOU

Try this link

To fix the java script error go to the tools menu of IE then go to internet options and then select the advanced tab. Scroll down to the java sub heading and enable it. You may have to reboot your system

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: GOOD, I RECEIVED IT. LOOKS COMPLICATED TO ME AS IM NOT A REPAIR MAN. WOULD IT BE EASIER TO RELACE THE THE WHOLE ICEMAKER? WOULD IT BE VERY COSTLY? APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

Well personally I firmly believe that anything conceivable by the human mind is possible.

Therefore it IS possible for you to do this. The biggest reason I say it is because once you get into the unit you will find that it really is not that hard. REALLY! If you can follow directions and use a screwdriver, pliers, and a few other miscellaneous tools you can fix this yourself.

Actually if you think you can replace the whole unit then you could fix the one you have. It is the difference of a little more time and some reading. Anything you cant figure out you just ask me. As long as it is the same repair you get me for the big sum of fifteen U.S. greenbacks. No more! (unless you decide to leave a bonus those are always nice)

So what do you think, Customer? Are you up to the challenge? I'm kinda hoping you are because I love a good challenge. (and a good student).

Yes you can just replace the whole unit and it would be much easier. the whole unit runs about $150-200.00 I'm not real positive but if you like I can even get you a link to the part and an accurate price.

So let me know what you wish to do.

Best THS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ILL THINK ABOUT IT.THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP. ONE MORE THINK. THERE NOT SPECIFIC AS TO HOW TO REPLACE THE THERMASTOR.

Hmmm I could have sworn I saw the thermistor when I looked yesterday. Ill check it again and let you know. Thank you

Ok here you are.

graphic

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances