Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

How do I manualy initiate the defrost cycle on a GE ...

Customer Question

How do I manualy initiate the defrost cycle on a GE side by side refrigerator model hss22Ifmdww. Thank You
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for using Just Answer.

The defrost timer is usually found behind the front grill of the freezer. It may also be found behind a cover plate inside the freezer, in the temperature control console, or behind the freezer near the compressor.

I looked at your model and it looks like it is by the compressor -

http://www.partselect.com/MultiModels.aspx?ModelNum=hss22Ifm&searchTerm=&RefineSearch=0

To test whether the defrost timer is simply failing to advance, locate the advance screw and turn it clockwise until you hear it click. This advances it to the next mode. If it was cooling before, it is now in defrost mode. Simply wait about 35 minutes and check whether it has left defrost mode and has resumed cooling (listen for the compressor). If it does not advance, the timer motor is probably bad and the entire timer needs to be replaced.

If you are happy with this answer please click the "accept" button and/or let me know if you need more information.

bernie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This model does not have a defrost timer. The defrost is controlled by the computer mounted on the rear of the box. I am well aware of the workings of defrost timers. I have been in the appliance repair business for over 30 years. Thank you

I'm sorry. I should have checked to see what you had done already. You obviously have been working on this.

I will opt out to allow someone who is familiar with this model to answer your question.

bernie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you,do I have to resubmitt my question or can I expect to hear from the person to whom you passed on my question. Thank You for your attention
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Bernard has asked me to step in and see if I can help you with your problem.

Your unit has the adaptive defrost in it. I have the service manual for your unit, as well as the adaptive defrost service manual.

If you would allow me about 20 minuits I will upload both for your retrival.

Thank you for your patience.

Best; THS

Ok what I have done is upload the service manual for your unit. It has all the diagnostic proceedures and is clearly illustrated.
You can get them by clicking here, and here.

To download these files:

On the first page scroll down to the bottom and select "FREE"

On the next page enter the letters in the box and select "download"

Save the file to your hard drive and open it with a .pdf reader. I recommend FoxIt reader. (foxit.com) Its smaller than adobe and no spyware.
If there is something in the manual that you do not understand just post here, and I will walk you through the proceedure.

If this answer satisfies your question please click the accept button. I will not be paid if you dont.

You can always ask follow up questions after you accept. I will be here to answer them.

If for some reason you are not happy. Please tell me what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

You can not inititate defrost from the board . There is no jumper wire or anything else on the board as you might expect . You can ohm out the defrost circuit from this board however. Be aware that what looks like a normal defrost thermostat attached to the coil is a high limit cut- out like 100 degrees or so . I can tell you the most common problem with this refrigerator is aburned out defrost heater so look at it first . It will be blackened glass when bad.