DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 years with current appliance repair company
9105687

My fridge is working but there is an odor like ammonia

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  DennisH replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

If the unit is newer You could be getting odor from the foam insulation.

If it is 2 years old(at least), and has been used regularly, the only way an odor can get in a refrigerator is a spill or a spoiled piece of food I would suggest turning the unit off and taking all the shelves and drawers out and do a very good cleaning, after it dries turn it back on and let it run for 24 hours and check it again.

If You need more information feel free to ask.

Dennis

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
my fridge is on all the time since I live in it for the last 2 years. There is nothing in the fridge except closed items. It is in a fifth wheel. The circuit board and and the heating element were replaced about 6 monthes ago. It started on a hot day(117degrees)and I live in Arizona by Bullhead city. It seems to be working ok and i was concerned about the freion.There does not seem to be a smell in the freezer.
Expert:  DennisH replied 8 years ago.
Customer

This unit could very well have a leak, the fact that You said it was in a fifth wheel.

Units in motor homes and the like can have ammonia as the refrigerant, this can be VERY dangerous, even fatal when inhaled.

You should have a trained expert take a look at it.

Dennis