The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

We have a Maytag dryer, model # XXXXX serial # XXXXX

We have a Maytag dryer, model # XXXXX serial # XXXXX It makes a loud squealing sound and stops before completely drying. It does not have a removable panel on the back and we can''t figure out how to get into it. Can you tell us how to get into it and do you know what the problem might be? We think that the front must come off, but can''t find any screws... Thanks. XXXXX

Hi Melinda;

If I send you a service manual would that work for you?

Awaiting your reply; The Home Smithy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: A service manual will be great! I hope it will show us how to get into it. My husband has worked on another dryer in the past that had a removable back panel. This one doesn't. Thanks.

Ok great!

One question if you would, please. Is there a model name associated withthe unit? eg: performa, elite, centenial, etc..

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
NO, there is no model name, just the model number.

If you still have the paperwork for the unit (if you ever did) the model name will be on the cover of the users manual. If not then it is probably the Dependable Care series. It would help if you could tell me how old the dryer is.

The reason I am asking these questions is that the manuals I have are not associated by the model numbers they go by the series name and then you look inside for the model numbers that it covers. I have been progressivly renaming the files to indicate the model numbers but yours has still not been done. There is some searching involved and it may take me a while to locate it but I'm sure I do have it.

Tio make things worse Maytag and Whirlpool are now merged and many Maytags were made by Whirlpool. So yours may not even be a true Maytag. It gets even better when you throw Sears and Home Depot into the mix. Both have their own rebranded model numbers.

Your patince and help is appreciated.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The dryer is almost 15 years old (purchased in Sept. 1993). I'll see if I can find an owners' manual.
Ok that narrows it down considerably. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have looked through all my owner's manuals, but don't have anything on the Maytag dryer.

Ok Im getting to the end of my search so it wont be much longer

Got it!! Uploading now.

Ok what I have done is upload the service manual for your unit. It has all the diagnostic proceedures and is clearly illustrated.
You can get it by clicking here.

To download this file:

On the first page scroll down to the bottom and select "FREE"

On the next page enter the letters in the box and select "download"

Save the file to your hard drive and open it with a .pdf reader. I recommend FoxIt reader. ( Its smaller than adobe and no spyware.
If there is something in the manual that you do not understand just post here, and I will walk you through the proceedure.

Sorry for the long wait but searching through all the manuals I have takes time. I appreciate your patience and help.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with.
I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks so much!!! I don't see my exact model number listed, but I can tell the ones that are listed are close enough that we can go by them. Page 3-11 shows how to take the front panel off. We will try this tonight!

It is the same base model there may be small diffrences in the control configuration but that is about it.

Thank you for the accept.

Best regards;The Home Smithy

WWhen you get a minuit, please leave feed back.