Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

Why wont my refrigerator dispense water

The water dispenser on my Hotpoint refrigerator will not dispense water but the ice maker is working just fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm sorry you're having a problem with your refrigerator.

The most common cause of this problem is the water valve and/or solenoid issue for the dispenser. There is a seperate one for the water dispenser. It is attached to water valve for the icemaker and comes as one piece.

If you check behind the refrigerator where the house's waterline attaches to the refrigerator that is where you will find it.

If you would like to replace it yourself, please post the model number of the refrigerator and we will look up the part for you. You will find the model number on a sticker inside the fresh food compartment on a side wall (sometimes th ceiling).

If you are satisfied with this answer please click the "accept" button and/or let me know if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The model# XXXXX XXXXX WW (Hotpoint)

You can check the valve by switching the the two waterline outputs on the valve. If your dispenser starts to work and you icemaker does not then you know that is the part you need to replace.

The part is number 800 on this diagram -

You can also order the part from the site above or

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just got online with this issue and I have to say that I am so sorry that I never accepted this answer. I honestly thought that I had and that all was well. Please accept my apology for this oversight. I will send this reply and then accept the answer.