John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

We have a GE side by side that is 3 years old. I defrosted ...

Customer Question

We have a GE side by side that is 3 years old. I defrosted it earlier this week and vacuumed the dust out, as I usually do every 6 months or so. A few days later, I noticed the food on the refrigerator side had sweat on it, and didn''t feel cold. The temperature was set on 5 out of 9, where it usually is. I turned it up to 7 without any change. The freezer side seems to be fine. Any help or solutions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

Hello jfarrar,

Some questions 1. Why do you defrost it - it's automatic defrost , does frost accumalate on the back wall of freezer ? 2. You say freezer is OK but is it really , is it around 0 deg. in freezer , is ice cream staying hard ? 3. In fresh food section there is a vent / damper assembly in top in back on left wall - air from freezer shoots through this in to the fresh food section , do you feel air coming out of this ? 4. What is the model number of the fridge - look on walls inside of fresh food section for this maybe even on the ceiling .