MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

How to install freezer gasket for whirlpool model ER8MHKXRS01

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

What you are going to have to do is loosen the screws that are under the gasket. If you peel back the inside edge of the gasket you will see the screws i'm talking about. Loosen those screws until they are all almost out and you will be able to remove the gasket. Be patient, there are alot of screws. After you install the new gasket get a hairdryer and heat the gasket around the door when the door is closed. This will allow the gasket to form to the cabinet for a complete seal all the way around. Let me know how you make out. You can still post to this question after you press the Accept button. Feel free to ask.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: The new gasket I ordered only has 3 holes on it. I suppose these are for screws.

But I didn't see there were screws on the bad gasket. I did open the inside edge of the gasket and I saw a hole but there was no screw. It seems the gasket is glued onto the door. I didn't use too much force to take it off just afraid of damaging something.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Can you see where the gasket goes behind the door liner?

Some gaskets are push in type. grab a corner of the old gasket and see if it is just a push in type. My diagram isn't clear with your machine. See if the gasket goes behind the liner or pushes into a grove in the liner.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: Sorry Bill. I cannot do it now. I'll check it when I get back home tonight. Thanks, Alex.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Ok, I look forward to hearing from you later.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. I think it's pushed in.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Are you able to pull it out from the liner. Check to make sure the outer edge of the gasket doesn't go behind the liner.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I don't know how. It seems that

1. The whole back side of the gasket goes behind the door liner. (The front side of the gasket touches the freezer when the door is closed. Not sure I'm clear on this, I don't know how to describe it precisely)

2. The back side of the gasket is glued on the door, at least for one corner.

Thanks,

Alex
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

When you have the door open. You should be able to peel back the gasket to expose the liner under the gasket. Check there and look for some screws under the gasket.

We are looking under the gasket at the door liner under the gasket. You should be able to roll it back enough to inspect the area underneath.

Let me know if I have explained this clearly enough.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yeah, I did that but didn't see any screws.

Alex
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

You may have a sealed liner door. Basically you cannot replace the gasket. To replace the gasket you would have to order the door shell and liner as one unit and it will come with the gasket installed. Follow the link below, look for number 19.

http://www.partselect.com/ModelFrames.aspx?ModelID=546441&ModelNum=ER8MHKXRS01&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=3&Selected=FLRBQ7DQ&Position=1&mfg=Whirlpool&Type=&Mark=1

Let me know if you are able to see the number when you click on the link.

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

What was wrong with the original gasket?