The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

How can I tell how old my Kenmore refrigerator is

Customer Question

We cannot hear the compresser working, although the fan and lights work. We can''t find the paper work, but I''m pretty sure its past warrenty. How can I tell how old it is, and is it worth fixing if its the compresser?? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

How about we start with the model number. I might be able to give you a good ballpark age if anything.

As this is a kenmore it was most likely pourchased at Home Depot or Sears. They do not allow warrenty transfers on their units. That is what will ber assumed if you can not provide proof of purchase. So much for the warrenty. If you did what most people dont and sent in the registration card then you would be covered.

If it is a compressor it might be better if you bought a new one. They are expensive to have installed and the part is not cheap either.

Awaiting your reply; THS

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry!! It's a "Whirpool Imperial Series" (side by side) #ED25LF    Any idea what year?? Thank you!!
Ok Ill see what I can find in my manuals.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Ok so far i have determined this much from the model number.

E=product group (refrigeration)

D= product group

25= cubic footage

L= unknown

F= free standing.

The rest of the model number is XXXXX Are you certain that there is not any more to the model number. The next number/letter is the date code. If you are sure that there are is nothing more i will keep digging but it is going to take a while. They dont exactly make it easy to cross refrence the model numbers to the service aids (unless your a dealer that is).

Please check this and get back to me.

Thank you.