The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

how to replace agitator dogs for kenmore washer model 110.23032100

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

Hi supercamelia.

To do this remove the top cap on the agitator (see picture below). There is an inner cap. Use a small screw driver to pry it out.

Once you have the inner cap out there is a 7/16" nut in the center of the assembly. Use a ratchet with a short extention and 7/16" socket to remove it.

You can now remove the top part of the agitator. Once removed look inside the top half for some tabs that lock the middle lower portion of the unit to the top. Use a screwdricver to push then to the side and allow the bottom to be removed.

You can now change the dogs and replace the unit on the main agitator.

graphic

graphic

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello, thank you for your answer. I have a piece in the top of my agitator assembly that is not shown on the enclosed diagram, and it does not just pull out with plyers. It seems to be on top of what looks like the head of the bolt underneath. I would like to email 3 photos so you can see. It is hard to see the depth, but this is a cylindrical shaped piece, about 2 1/2" deep that fits inside, and as I said, it looks like the head of the bolt is underneath that. Please see photos and help! :) I can't attach the photos to this email form; do you have another email I can send the photos to get help?

Thanks, Karen

Ok to attach a picture you use the icon at the top of your reply box that looks like a tree.

Ok here is how you upload them-

At the top of your reply box is a icon that looks like a tree. It is two to the right of the smiley.

Click on the icon. It will bring up a box.

Click on browse. Another box will appear.

Click on browse again in that box.

Navigate to the place in your computer where the picture is. Select it, and then in the second box click on upload.

The second box will disapear.

In the first box click on insert.

This will upload your picture, and you should see it displayed in your reply box.

Repeat the process to upload another picture.

If this wont work for you then you can upload them to http://tinypic.com

Once the pictures are uploaded they will give you a set of links. copy the one that says for forums. I think its the second link from the top.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Oh! thanks. They came out really big, but Here they are:

graphicgraphic

Can you send me a picture of the parts you have removed, please?

Something is not right here. Nice pictures by the way. Nicly detailed and clear!

Thank you

Nevermind. This is a diffrent configuration than the model I posted above. Here is a breakdown of the unit you have. Sorry about the mixup.

It does appear that something is jammed in the side of the agitator though. (see photo) It looks like pieces of #4 in the breakdown.

graphic

You need to remove these before you reassemble the unit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That is just tape I tried to put in for a quick fix that you saw--need to get that out. But my big question is, how do I remove this plastic insert thing? Just pull it out with a pair of plyers? I don't see anything that is holding it in?
Yup give it a wiggle and it should come out. If it wont wiggle out fairlly easy let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Well, it won't budge, and only needlenose plyers fit in there, so not much of a way to muscle it. So I guess time to call a repair person?
Not yet. Let me check with another expert first. He may have more information.

Ok got it!

You need to find something that will turn this-

graphic

It is threaded onto the transmission shaft.

Mr.Bill (thanks for the info Bill) says that they use the motor clips to remove these. They are the clips that hold the pump to the motor . They can be accessed from the bottom by tipping the unit on its back. One of these and a pair of pliers work .

I was thinking you might be able to use a 1" wood chisel and a pair of channell lock (slip joint) pliers. Either will work.

Let me know if you have problems with it.