MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

My Seaers Kenmore Washer is Five and a half years old.

My Seaers Kenmore Washer is Five and a half years old. Recently I noticed that when the spin cycle was on, it made a a different and very loud noise (it always was loud, but this noise was different and I wondered if some bearing was burning up, but it continued to work so I didn''t do anything about it). Yesterday when the machine went into spin cycle, it did it customary slight spin (rebalancing the load I think it is called), but never actually started to spin rapidly to expell the water through centifugal action. I tried the spin cycle at different settings (Permanent Press, Normal, Eco Wash etc) and had the same result. My warranty just expired last month and I am wondering if this is a repair worth making.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Can you send me the model number to your machine? Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: 41742042100 Front load washer
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

It appears you may have some bearing issues. Can you reach inside the tub and see if you can move the metal tub up and down?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know what you mean by "up and down" as it is a front loader. When I try to move it circularly,as it should move when the spin cycle is on, it moves with difficulty, seems very tight, not how I remember it. As far as the tub's movement side to side, it seems suspended as always, and moves easily when I rock it.
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

You definitely have some bearing issues. The cost of repair will be between 300 - 400 dollars. I just did one the other day for someone who insisted to have it done. The reason it is so expensive is the rear shell bearing is around 180 dollars. At this point I will leave the descision up to you whether to repair or not. But this is a repair that you will need to call a technician. More than half of the machine will need disassembled. And will take around an hour and half or so to complete. The noise you were hearing was the bearings grinding. Now the machine is at a point where the motor cannot turn the tub anymore.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. After you press the accept button you will still be able to ask me questions about your machine. Please feel free to ask.

Thanks Again,

Bill

MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience