MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

kenmore refridg and freezer, sise by side fan running but no coolng,

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

hello,

i will be happy to help, what is the model #?

thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
model596.57542791   or P1314501ww. 6yr old
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

The first thing we are going to have to check is the compressor. When the fan in the freezer is running the compressor should be running to. Also, check the back wall of the freezer. Look for frost build up on the lower panel in the rear of the freezer.

To check the compressor, pull the refrigerator out from the wall so you can get to the rear of the unit. At the bottom remove the lower panel. Behind there is the compressor. It is black and round. Place your hand on top of it and let me know what you find. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
bottom of comp hot, top warm
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Any frost on the rear panel inside the freezer?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes some frost on freezer panel coils
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

On the panel itself? or did you remove the panel and look at the coils?

What is the temperature in the freezer? Froze, not quite froze, cool, warm?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
coils have good frost on them, goods on bottom shelves still frozen, top shelves thawed
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Is the frost real light and even over all the coils, or is it thick and alot of frost?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
very thick on top,like froze up only light sheen on tubes and very lite frost on actual coils, stand by aquiring pic to send
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can't seem to attach pic to message window...
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

This sounds like a problem. Can you email me a picture to help@applianceoutletservice.com? I don't know if i'm aloud to post my email address here but seeing the picture will be beneficial to helping answer your question.

The frost pattern you are describing doesn't sound like a normal pattern.

In the email subject, put "Frost Pattern" I will not reply to your email. I will reply back to this post once I recieve the email.

thanks

Bill

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Ok, just got the picture. WOW. Now we can narrow your problem down a little bit.

At first glance your fridge is defrosting but not enough or not everytime. It appears that your defrost thermostat may be terminating the heater prematurely. The first thing we need to do is remove the frost. This will get your machine back to working order. Temporarily. We need to find the faulty component to permanetly fix the problem so this doesn't happen again.

But first. Let's manually put the machine into defrost and see what happens. Down near the compressor is the defrost timer. It is surrounded by a metal cover. The dial you need to turn is on the right side of the box. Turn it counter-clockwise. It will click, when you hear a noticably different click. The machine will be in defrost. Have the machine on when you are doing this. Leave the back panel off the freezer. You will know its in defrost when the fan stops running and the compressor stops.

Leave the machine in defrost and start your watch. Lets see how long the heater stays on and also how long until the freezer fan comes back on.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX there, we are close to an answer!

Thanks,

Bill

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, under front bottom grill, metal plate holding 1 controle device with a red/orange knob on front, only appears to turn clockwise, modular plug w 4 wires to it,im guessing this is the defrost timer, no other described componenets at back, or unit, found the capacitor and the compressor relay also,
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Yes,

I apologize. That is the timer. Turn that until you hear the different click.

Thanks. Again Sorry for the confusion.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to MrBill's Post: ok, click at 2:38, fan shut down also, oh and i have not heard or seen fan in freezer side run at all during all this... fyi
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Total defrost time should be around 30 minutes, with no fan or compressor. The heater will not stay on the whole time. Only until the temp behind the panel reaches about 70 or so. By this time all the frost should be off the evaporater. If it cuts off too early, the evaporater will start to look like yours.

Let me know about the heater coming on and total defrost time.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no evidence of heat yet, very bottom coil loop is clear of ice but rest is still covered, will monitor, any way to verify heater function? other than visual,
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

It will glow red hot when its on. Water will sizzle, it will be obvious when its on.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no heat, we may have our problem ,no. would that also explain no evap fan function, or are all those devices controled by a board somewhere?
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

I believe you have a bad defrost thermostat. The timer is what controls the fan and the compressor. They will not run when the machine is in defrost. Let the machine go on it's own. If it doesn't come out of defrost after 35 minutes at most. Then you have a bad defrost timer. Right now I believe the thermostat that controls the heater is bad. But if it never comes out of defrost on its own, then there is an issue with the timer.

thanks for your patience

MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
compressor an fan just kicked back on auto, no thawing of evap coils. and the heater thermo is located ...?
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Ok, If you remove all the frost from the evaporater coils, your machine will work fine for a few days. This will buy you some time till you get the parts you need. I would order only a defrost thermostat. The timer appears to be fine. My concern with the timer was that it was not advancing around to the defrost cycle. I highly doubt the heater is bad. I can't remember the last time I seen a bad on. Unless it was a GE.

The defrost thermostat I am talking about is in the freezer and sits on top of the coils.

It is what lets the voltage from the timer go to the heater.

Heater is in the shape of an L. It runs down the side of the coils in the freezer and across the bottom

The defrost thermostat sits on top of the coils and is about the size of 6-7 quarters stacked up. Part#R0161088

On the diagram below it is number 23, it sits on the right side of the coils

Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com! Let me know if you have anymore questions.