MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience

MAYTAG MAH8700AWW GETTING ERROR CODE 3E

No Comment Added
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

I've done some research for you. This is the closest thing I can find...

1E persists in washer displayLid lock failureReplace lid lock switch or control board.

Does the machine function at all now? And when did the error occur?, Beginning of a cycle, middle, or end?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Error Code showing is "3-E" which the manual says is some sort of motor malfunction.
We have owned this washer some two (2) years now.
Until the last six (6) months or so we have experienced NO problems. Now the problem is happening more frequently. Sometimes it will go thru three or four cycles with no problem. Then, Several cycles of error. I have tried to do some research online and find this to be fairly common. Maytag has been little and/or no help. Being out of warranty and on fixed income, I am seeking self repair. To answer your question, it appears this happens prior to the final spin cycle. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Here is so info I gathered from more research. I apologize for the previous post on the incorrect code. Read this and give this a shot and let me know how you make out.....

There have been problems with the motor wire harness connector on these washers. The problems are either a loose or bent terminal in the molex connector.

Unplug the connector and tug on each wire. If a wire comes loose from the plug, bend the locking tab up. If a locking tab is not properly seated in the plug connector, the terminals will not fully engage as the connector is plugged into the motor.

Another manifestation of this problem is that one of the terminals may be bent. Inspect the terminals on the motor side of the connector. Straighten any bent terminals if they exist. Recheck the harness side of the terminal block if any bent terminals are found. Bent terminals can indicate a problem with the locking tab inside the plug.

I hope this information will do the trick for you. Again let me know how you make out.

Just sounds like some connection problems with the plug that connects to the motor.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com!! Good Luck

MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the prompt response to my request for service on my Maytag MAH8700.

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.
Your welcome
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi again, While I meant my preceding comment thanking you, I regret that was not the total of my comments, I just touched the wrong key. Then American Idol came on.

What I had intended to say was I followed your recommendations and proceeded too open the motor compartment and inspect the connector assembly. Upon touching the same it fell away from the motor bracket and I and said uh ha! However, my joy was short lived as further inspection revealed nothing out of order, ie, No loose connections / wires. No bent pins. All appeared good. The area was pristine in appearance.

After reassembling the connector assembly I inspected the entire motor installation and still found nothing out of order. Upon reconnecting plumbing and electrical, I ran the rinse/spin cycle and they functioned without problem.

We (the Wife and I) loaded a medium sized load of clothes and ran a normal cycle. Still no error. So, I again proclaimed victory and again it was premature. At the mid point of the wash cycle code E-3 signaled. Touching the start button again, the machine picked up from where it left off and continued to the end.

We tried a second load (a bit heavier) and experienced no codes until the last minute of the run and then the dreaded "Code E-3"!!! Touching the start button finished the cycle. I asked my Wife to run the rinse / spin cycle empty again. But, my beloved MAH8700 decided not to cooperate and threw Code E-3's every couple of minutes. So we quit and had dinner.

After dinner we tried another load and another and another and then...E-3...

Now I don't pretend to be any authority on this "engineering wonder", but, sitting there watching the unit go though its paces, I began to surmise that maybe there could a problem with whatever sensor tells the control panel the motor is overloading. Or, maybe the motor is undersized for the job. Or maybe the control panel itself is missinterpreting the signals it is receiving??? But,These are only my thoughts.

Again, I appreciate your prompt response and I am certainly open and egar to learn of any proceedure or method to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Charles Sahlin

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Well, you can't win them all, LOL. Do you have access to a volt meter?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes I do. I have checked the restinence between all the motor terminals, got 28 ohms between any two.

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Was that with the motor unplugged?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I did it while inspecting the connector. Found no problems.

CS

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

There is a control board that sits down by the motor, can you remove the board and inspect for any burn marks or any other damage?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, already looked for control board(s). Searched entire machine enclosure and found only one control board under the front console.

In my poking around I am rapidly coming to the conclusion my problem is in that beloved sleeping giant!

CS

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

The resistance on the motor winding is about the average of what I recall from service.

I don't have an exact ohm reading for that motor. But pretty much everything is controlled by that control board. If when everything checks ok, that can only leave one thing. Control Board. If another tech has the ohm reading for that motor please feel free to jump in.

I will try to see if I can find the ohms.

Thanks Again for using JustAnswer.com

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Mr. Bill, My research shows on/or about 30 Ohms

CS

Expert:  MrBill replied 6 years ago.

Ok then, you are going to have to replace that control board that is behind the timer.

Its not reading the ohms on the motor correctly.

I hope this information has been useful.

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.