The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

GE top load washing machine (WPSR3100W). A heavy load was ...

GE top load washing machine (WPSR3100W). A heavy load was out of balance and the machine stopped. Now the agitator will spin but the drum will not and it leans almost to the point of touching the cabinet wall when empty & level. At first I thought the belt had broken or worn out (slight smell of hot rubber), but the belt appears fine, moves well and seems to have the right tension. Any suggestions/advice/opinions of repair vs replace are appreciated.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

It sounds like the washer is now not level.

If you find that it is not level, you can level the washer by grabing the back and lifting it up (toward you) and gently letting it go. You do this with a rocking type action. You may have to repeat a couple of times.

When the washer is level try it again.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Bernard S.'s Post: Bernie,
thanks for the suggestion. Tried to relevel and restart. There are wet chips and small pieces of what looks like composite stone or thick glazing in the bottom of the inner drum.
The agitator will continue to spin, but the drum will not.

It sounds as if one of the support struts have come loose or a dampener strap has failed. The pieces that you see at the bottom of the tub are probably pieces of the skirting that have been broken off by the tub hitting them.

To assist you in diagnosing, and repairing your problem what I have done is upload the service manual for your unit. It has all the diagnostic proceedures and is clearly illustrated.
You can get it by clicking here.

To download this file:

On the first page scroll down to the bottom and select "FREE"

On the next page enter the letters in the box and select "download"

Save the file to your hard drive and open it with a .pdf reader. I recommend FoxIt reader. ( Its smaller than adobe and no spyware.
If there is something in the manual that you do not understand just post here, and I will walk you through the proceedure.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with.
I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances