The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I have a side by side frigidaire refrigerator Model # XXXXX

I have a side by side frigidaire refrigerator Model # XXXXX I recently changed the water filter and shortly after that, the ice maker stopped working. Water stills comes out but no ice is being made. I have been reading some blogs and trying a few things. If I pour 7 oz of water into the back of the maker below th chute, it will make a few cubes.The plastic tubing in the back is clear. Any suggestions? Thank You
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

Hi Customer;

The feed solinoid to the ice maker has gone out. To test this you need to unplug the unit and wait a few minuits. Plug it back in and listen carefully for the solinoid to click. If the water dispensor (if so equiped) is working you can have someone activate it and the solinoid for it will click. this will tell you what to listen for. To locate the solinoid just follow the water line from the wall to the unit.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have unplugged the unit 2 different times and waited. I didnot hear a click when i turned it back on or when the water dispenser was used. Any other ideas? thank you
Is the water dispensor working properly?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Yes
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Ok if the water dispensor is working properly see if you can switch the wires on the solinoid. If the water dispensor begins to operate (have someone there ready to catch the water ) then the solinoid is bad. If the wires can npt be switched then you will need a volt ohm meter to test the wires for power. If the wires do not have power then a service tech will be required. due to the complexity and location of the wiring harness i personally will not attempt the repair myself. this repair is quite involved and is best left to a qualified tech.