The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a Frigidaire (about 5 years old) side by side - ...

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire (about 5 years old) side by side - about 3 weeks ago, the freezer side stopped freezing - actually got warm inside. I cleaned the tubes in back and it got cold again. One week later, freezer got warm again. I unplugged it for about 6 hours and it got to freezing again. Three days ago, same thing i.e., freezer got warm. Unplugged it again for about 5 hours and it''s freezing again. The fan blades are working whether the freezer is warm or cold. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

The problem that you are having is the defrost timer is not working properly. The condensor coils in the freezer side are iceing up, and when they do the fan can no longer push air acrost them to cool the freezer. This is a common ailement for a unit as old as yours is.

This can be changed by a person that is mechanicly inclined. I do recommend that you have a technician do the repair as there are a few things that are good to have checked at this time in a refrigerators life. The freon and oil level in particular.

The service call and the part will run you about $100.00 to $150.00 depending on the area you live in. After that your unit should give you many years of good service.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with.
I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to The Home Smithy's Post: Let me check the defrost timer before I decide to accept.
Ok not a problem.