Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

I own a GE Refrigerator (Model PSC23SGRC) and the ice/water ...

Customer Question

I own a GE Refrigerator (Model PSC23SGRC) and the ice/water dispensor display unit on the front stopped working. I changed the main control board thinking that might be the problem but nothing. Can you provide any tips on what my next step(s) should be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 8 years ago.

Hi Mickey,

What tests did you do to determine that the board should be replaced?

Was the refrigerator making ice (just not dispensing it)?

Did you test the water valve/solenoid?

bernie

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I really did no tests at all. I simply changed the main control board since the dispensor panel was not illuminated at all that it probably was not getting power and figured the main control board was the source of the power. The refrigerator does make ice it is just unable to dispense the ice or water. I did not test the water valve/solenoid but definitely can. Any insight on how to test the water valve/solenoid?

Mickey,

If the unit is making ice, I would not look at the water valve.

Let's go back to the what you see now. The dispenser is still not lighting up....right?

The new board changed nothing... correct?

Do you have schematic of the electronics for the refrigerator? You want to check for voltage at the board that controls the dispenser. Then trace this back to perhaps another board that determines the voltage to send. Eventually all things will lead to the main board. However, you find bad wire, capacitor or board before the main board.

I am also guessing that you are not under any warranty (because the more work that you do the more you risk voiding any existing warranty - SOME PARTS are covered for more than a year).

bernie

I