The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a GE Profile TCX22PAC refrigerator. The freezer is ...

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile TCX22PAC refrigerator. The freezer is on the bottom and it will not shut off. It is so cold even the vodka freezes. I unplugged it for 24 hours and after plugging it back in it resumed the over freezing process even when the temperature controler in the freezer compartment is in the off position
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

Hi Customer;

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. The temprature controller is not working properly. Not the one in the freezer but the one in the main compartment. It is sometimes refered to as the thermostat.

Basicly the unit has shorted itself and is locked in the coldest setting.

Changing the controller (thermostat) should solve the problem. The part should be available at your local appliance center, or If you like I can locate one for you on line.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
From what I can see there is only one temperature controller in this refrigerator. The owners manual states that if the controller in the freezer compartment is turned off then there neither the freezer or the refrigerator will be cooled. This does not happen, the freezer and refrigerator keep functioning.
If there is another thermostat please advise me where it would be located.

If that is the case then that unit is what needs to be changed.

graphic

The control on the right goes to an electrical device under the cover that you will need to replace. This is what determins whether the unit cools or not.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Inside the unit are five or six components, I assume one of those is the thermostat. Can you identify it and advise me of the part number or tell me where I can purchase it?

The part is available from this web site. It retails for aproximatly $60.00. The part number is XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the thermostat located in the control module in the freezer compartment?

Yes it is one of the componants. It is the componant that the temprature control knob attaches to.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately the part that you advised me to purchase, which I did, was not the correct thermostat. It did not look at all like the one in the freezer compartment. I have since located the correct thermostat, WR9X525, from a distributor in a city 80 miles from where I live.
The thermostat is now installed and the refrigerator is working properly. The only problem is that I am out the $76.57 that it cost for the original part.
This is a very unsatisfactory experience.