Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

I have a GE dryer model PDVH515EFWW that when drying in ...

I have a GE dryer model PDVH515EFWW that when drying in auto dry cycle dryer does not shut off even after clothes are dried and display is showing dr. This does not happen all the time but I cannot trust it to shut off on its own, what might be the cause

Do you use fabric softener sheets in the dryer? If so, this may cause the moisture sensor to become coated and inhibit it's abiltity to sense the clothes and turn off.

Let me know I will give you more information on how to resolve.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes I do use fabric softener sheets

Those sheets can coat the moisture sensor so that the dryer does not know when to stop. If you look inside the dryer (you'll have to stick you head inside) and down directly below the lint filter you will see two metal bars. Check them and clean them. They should have not residue on them.

You also should check you lint filter itself. Even if the filter looks ok, you should take it to a sink and run a little water on it to see if it lets the water thru the filter. If it does not you need to clean the filter also.