Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

What is the cause of a Whirlpool dishwasher (Model ...

Customer Question

What is the cause of a Whirlpool dishwasher (Model GU940SCGQ2) recycling over and over? Everything else works fine, it just wants to keep going and going.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jack replied 8 years ago.

Hi dray,

Are you saying the timer is not advancing? Or it is advancing and continues on to a new cycle?

Jack

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
continues on to a new cycle or randomly turns itself on starts a new cycle. We have to keep the door propped open after drying so that it does not start up again. sometimes it will start up in the middle of the night if the door is closed.
Expert:  Jack replied 8 years ago.

OK

This sounds like your timer is defective. Let me do a little research on your model and I'll post back here in a few minutes.

Jack

Expert:  Jack replied 8 years ago.

Ok so yours has a touch pad control and not a dial correct? Does it display any error codes?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no error codes or anything else. How would it display error codes?
Expert:  Jack replied 8 years ago.

Holy crap! We're under a tornadfo warning here in oklahoma... i'm shutting down and will be back later

Jack

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
keep your head down. Check with you later.
God bless.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have not received any more responses. There is nothing to accept.
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Don't know what happened to Jack But you'll need to replace the electronic control board . The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand it's availlable from www.partselect.com for $126.00. thanks for using justanswer.

Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had looked at the diagram on whirlpool website and figured it was either the electronic control board or the console (pt. #(NNN) NNN-NNNN that contains the touch control pads and has the thin ribbon wire behind the pads. There is really nothing else possible. Have you seen the console fail and if so, what are the symptoms?
Expert:  Jack replied 8 years ago.

Hi dray

Sorry i had to leave so abruptly Wednesday, we had a tornado outbreak here and my wife and kids were in a panic. Luckily we didn't have too much damage here.

I agree with Tom, a faulty control board will cause the symptoms you've described.

Please accept his answer and not mine since he was the one to quickly diagnose your problem.

Again, my apologies for cutting out on you like that. Good luck and thanks for using Just Answer.

Jack

Before you order either part do this- - disconnect the ribbon connector from the control board and give it time to see if it starts by itself if it does it is definitely the control board, if not then it means that the touch pad has an intermittent short specifically the start pad . Your situation is hard to detect the faulty part because it does not do it all the time, but doing what I said will show which part is at fault.