Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

i have a Whilpool side by side refrigerator made in 1999.

i have a Whilpool side by side refrigerator made in 1999. It got to where it was only 13 degrees in the frezer. i called a repair tech. out and he checked the system and installe freon. He told me that the compressor was bad and we should replace it. He told me that it would not get any colder until this was replaced. He said it would take about a week to get the new compressor. After he left the the tempeture droped to 0 degrees. I fel that the system has a leak instead of the compressor being bad. It it is defective I don''t feel that by adding freon would make it get colder. Is he right or am I ?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

You are right . If he had to add refrigerant then it has a leak ( it does not use it up ) The problem is finding the leak. Many times they are extremely hard to find and newer refrigerators don't require much ( 5 oz.s or so ) so even a slight leak is a major factor in keeping the temp right. Have your tech install a UV filter-drier and put the exact charge in - that way when it gets low again ( and it will ) he can use a U V light and find where it is leaking. Make sure your condensing coil is clean as that will help your fridge run cooler also. Thanks for using justanswer.