Chuck G.
Chuck G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 Yrs. Experience in the appliance repair field
8049636

My 1989 GE 20.6 cubic ft. frig interior light doesnt ...

Customer Question

My 1989 GE 20.6 cubic ft. frig interior light doesn''t work. There is no power to the socket. The door switch is good. Is there a inline fuse or something ? Customer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for using justanswer for your appliance questions!

There is no inline fuse or resistor on that circuit. You refrigerator has a tech sheet down behind the kick plate below the door. Unless someone removed it. Sometimes GE tucks the sheet in the toe kick. This will have wiring info for your model. If your model has a circuit board that controls or monitors temperature, The circuit for the lights is routed thru the control.

Hope this helps!!

Let me know if you need more assistance or if you have any questions.
Thank you for using justanswer.com

Chuck G.
__________________
Please " ACCEPT " when your question has been completely answered so I may be compensated.
PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!
Positive Feedback is very important, That is how we get rated! Bonuses are appreciated!
Chuck G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 Yrs. Experience in the appliance repair field
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I found the tech sheet. It is 10:30 PM in NY. I am going to work on it tommorrow morning. I'm a machinist not a electrician so I might have another ? for you. Either way you'll hear from me tommorrow. Thanks. Bill G (Customer)
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
good nite!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey Chuck G. The lamp is tied into the Mullion heater between the freezer and the frig. compartment. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do ? To get in there you have to remove all the styrofoam insulation and I don't see what could have gone wrong. Am I going to have to replace the whole mullion heater unit and light assembly ? Bill G. (Customer)
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
Bill, reply back with your model #. I want to do some research for you. Dont start digging in the foam! Let me see what i can find. / chuck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chuck,I didn't know I had to go to the web site to respond. I thought I would get an e-mail. Sorry. The model # XXXXX XXXXX GE 1989 20.6 cubic Ft. no frost. Bill G.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
No way around replaceing the heater light set. This is wired this way, most likely, for energy conservation. These appliance mfg. do alot of fancy wiring to get the energy useage down . / chuck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess I'm cheapoo !