Jack
Jack, HVAC Contractor
Experience:  27 years experience repairing HVAC systems and appliances
5358635

Kenmore Refrig Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN Noticed water on ...

Customer Question

Kenmore Refrig Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN Noticed water on top of objects in refrig top shelf past 3 days. Today had puddle of water on floor, water in draw and under draw. Pan in back is dry. Refrig and freezer is working and cold. Was an object in freezer against the back, against the fan area. Would this cause any of this? What do I need to check? It has now been 7 hrs since clean up and no water. Fluke? Drain clogged? Take any help please.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Hello

Yes it does sound's to me that the drain was clogged and then let go
the pan under there is not very large and what happens is the water is evaporated with the refridgeration discharge lines which are very hot

So in essence the pan over flooded
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: If the pan over flooded, shouldn't the pan be at least damp? Also why is there water on the top shelf items in the refrig and today the water increased and ran down into the draw?
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Hello
You didn't mention that the pan was dry
Where did the water come from ?
Did the tube not go in the pan ?
Is the pan cracked ?
If the drain was cloged then the moisure has no ware to go and will get all over everything
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Glenn
Original message has pan dry. Problem is I do not know where water is coming from. It is noticed first inside on top shelf on items and today (which was a warmer day) there was enough water to run over the items on top shelf down to the bottom draw. Figured the water probably came out the door under the draw. Since everything is cold, figured it had something to do with the freezer and defrost cycle, but as I said the pan is dry. A food item was against the back where the louvers to the fan are, does this cause any probems? Where is the "drain tube" for the freezer defrost? What else can I check?
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Yes the item against the louvers can cause problems

Another thing to check is the door seal even on the bottom this will let moisture in that will accumulate on the colder items

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This morning I see the water dripping out from where the cold air flows out in the refrig. Have put a bowl under to catch water. Am told by repairman that a funnel frequently gets clogged and water cannot run down. Problem is how to get to this funnel. The cover for the air flow does not come off. It is one molded piece of plastic for the roof of the refrig. For this model how do I get to the area where the water drains?
Expert:  Jack replied 6 years ago.

hi cat,

I think what Glenn means is the drain pan under the evaporator coil in the freezer section. That pan has a tube that leads to the drain pan on the bottom, where the water evaporates away.

You need to remove the back cover of the freezer section and you will see the coil and the pan below the coil. The drain pan is very likely iced up, so you'll need to defrost it with a hair dryer and then try pouring warm water in the drain pan to see if it drains. If not, there still could be some hidden ice in the drain tube or it may be clogged with something else.

If several tries with the warm water doesn't work, you'll need an air tank to blow through the tube (sometimes it's easier to blow from the bottom of the tube back up).

Let us know if that helps,

Thanks,

Jack

p.s. If that works, please accept Glenn's answer rather than mine since he was on the right track before I butted in. ;-)

Jack, HVAC Contractor
Experience: 27 years experience repairing HVAC systems and appliances