Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I have a maytag side by side refridgerator/freezer (about 6 ...

I have a maytag side by side refridgerator/freezer (about 6 years old)... In the freezer side there is a vent in the bottom to the back that is emitting warm air and causing water to puddle in the bottom, eventually leaking out to the floor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

Hello Michelle,

Behind the back freezer wall is the evaporator ( cooling coil ) . Periodically the defrost timer will energize the defrost heater which is right above this vent you're referrring to. If all the food in fresh food and freezer are maintaining their correct temperature I am going to assume that you just happened to catch the refrigerator in defrost. When this ice melts it should go into a trough at the back wall and then into a tube that ends in a pan under the fridge, if you have water coming out the freezer floor then this drain and or trough is clogged and frozen.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to tom goellner's Post: So then what should I do? I have cleaned all the dust off the coil in the back... is there something to reset? Also, the vent where the warm air is coming from is about 8 inches up the back wall in the freezer and it has water leaking down onto the floor of the freezer - which eventally pools up, freezes and/or leaks out the door.

You have to get to the hole in trough to defrost it and get the tube unclogged. Do this from inside the freezer , remove shelves and the back wall and use a hair dryer and a turkey baster with hot water to push hot water down in to the hole . Eventually it will open and the water will go down into the pan underneath . Unplug the fridge when you do this. It takes up to an hour so your frozen food will be ok for that time period setting out. Thanks for using justanswer.

P.S. Dust on coil has nothing to do with this problem and there is nothing to reset.