Glenn
Glenn, Mechanic
Experience:  over 30 years as a maintenance technician I have repaired many an Appliance I am also an electrician
281739

I have a 6 year old kenmore side by side refridgerator. It ...

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old kenmore side by side refridgerator. It was making noise and stopped cooling. A technician looked at it and diagnosed it as needing a new compressor. The repair estimate was expensive, so I decided to decline the repair and buy a new fridge. I emptied the contents of the fridge and freezer. Soon after, the noise disappeared and the temp. was cool again. My question is. . .could the tech have been wrong, or is the fridge just cold because there isn''t anything in it? Is it possible that it will be ok now? I have a new fridge ordered, but don''t exactly want to take delivery if I don''t actually have a broken refridgerator! Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Hello
If it was like a clicking noise it may just be the start relay
These do go bad they have contacts on them that get pitted
Glenn, Mechanic
Experience: over 30 years as a maintenance technician I have repaired many an Appliance I am also an electrician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: Hi Glenn, and thanks. The tech said he checked the relay, hoping that it might be the problem. He said it was definitely the compressor, after he checked it. I read in another posting that sometimes a fridge needs to be reset by unplugging it. Could it be possible that it only needed a reset? Or is that impossible given that the compressor was making noise? Thanks for any further insight you might have.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have to leave the house now, but will be back to check my messages around 5pm cst. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am back online now. I'll "accept" as soon as you have a chance to answer my 12:48pm reply. Thanks in advance!
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Sometimes this works by un pluging it but usually on newer models that have electronics

How did he check the compressor ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: I'm really not sure what he did. He was behind the fridge, so I really couldn't see what he was doing. I know he had his own relay, maybe he was seeing if switching to a new relay would fix the problem. He said the noise was the compressor "trying" to come on. The only other info I have is the estimate he gave me. It includes 1 valve kit, 1 sub compress, and 1 filter-drier. Not sure if that is any help to you.
I have tried contacting the company to ask questions, but my efforts proved futile, as I was only able to speak with customer service and not a technician.
Thanks
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
I have seen compressors get hot from dirty coils and turn off and try to restart but the high head was to much and it would shut down

Have you cleanded it on the bottom underneath and on the back ?
If you haven't I would and pospone the new one unless you need one in the cellar
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, Glenn. I appreciate your help. We'll try that and see if it helps. It really is filthy back there since it is surrounded very closely by the cabinets. You can't vacuum or dust around it unless you pull out the whole fridge. . .so, it rarely gets done.
Thanks again for your time.
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Ok great