Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances

I have an older Kenmore 80 series dryer model 658521. It ...

Customer Question

I have an older Kenmore 80 series dryer model 658521. It recently stopped heating but still runs (after recent power outage due to severe weather - this may have nothing to do with it). The house circuit breakers are in the on position. It seems that the heating element is about a $50 part, and if it is highly likely that this is the problem, I''m more than willing to take a shot and replace it myself. I am not a trained electrician, but with a little advice I''m sure I can handle it. Let''s hear!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

The heating element may not be your problem. Have you already checked the door switch, thermal fuses and motor relay? It is also important to actually check the voltage at the 220 volt outlet.

If you have not check these then, let me know and we can proceed. If you're confident about having checked that stuff we can take it from there.

Please send the model number.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello sir,

No I have not checked the door switch (guess I figured since the dryer starts and runs when I close the door that wouldn't be problem). Also have not checked the thermal fuses (again, thought the dryer wouldn't run at all), motor relay or outlet voltage. The model # XXXXX XXXXX Thanks!

Start with checking the voltage at the outlet. If you have a multi-meter set it for AC 110-120 volts. Then you would check each leg for voltage with the ground.

The ground is the "L" shaped hole. BE CAREFUL do not insert the probes into the other two holes at the same time.

Use ONLY one of the hot (straight blade holes) and the "L" shaped hole each time you test for voltage.

If you have any question about what I'm saying ASK. There is a lot of voltage at the outlet and you must be very careful where you put the probe.

Let me know how this goes.