Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

I have a maytag neptune bought in 2000 in 2005 I replaced ...

Customer Question

I have a maytag neptune bought in 2000 in 2005 I replaced the control board #22002989 (burned resistor/no door lock, no spin) and was compensated by maytag, now the same problem has returned. Is there a more permanent repair and can board be repaired? I am a electrical technician. Door lock seems to be OK. Thank you Joe RuffertModel # XXXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you have lost the board again (burned resistor visible again), then I have never had someone do the repair to the board. These are always replaced without exception.

However, if you have the training and are able to test the board (and/or replace the burned resistor) then it would be worth trying since the board is gone anyway.

Bernie

Experience: 27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can I aquire a schematic for the electronic circuitry of this board? And if I replace the Board with a new one is there other areas I need to consider investigating to prevent anouther failure. Joe R

Joe,

Do you see a burned resistor again?

Bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, It was the same resistor, a #R11 3.9k ohm small wattage resistor and can be traced to the wax motor door lock switch. I have replaced the board again and as last time everything is working fine. I now have two bad boards to play with and will try a repair for future occurances. Was not able to obtain a machine control board schematic. Thanks Joe

Joe,

Check the door switch by first "playing" with it to see if mechanically it will malfunction. Oh yeah , and you DO want to unplug the washer so that you do not blow another board.

Then, if you can not get it to malfunction mechanically, check it for resistance (after you remove it) and voltage (after you plug the unit back in). You probably do have schematic for the entire washer to verify voltage.

I am not aware of any control board schematic available. I believe the service manual will instruct to replace entire board only.

Bernie

Expert:  Chuck G. replied 6 years ago.
Helping bernie,

The resistor that is shorting out on your circuit boards is caused by a shorted lock wax motor. This has been a chronic problem on neptunes. You must replace the lock wax motor or you will short the resistor on the first cycle. These resistors are available at Radio Shack, I have soldered in a couple of these in a pinch. Also check ebay! There are many of these listed.
Hope this helps!
chuck

Hi Joe,

Chuck knows this issue well and has provided great infomation for you to avoid losing another board. The door lock wax motor can work intermitently and then short out again.

You can also fix the boards you have. He has had positive results in doing so "in a pinch".

Thank you Chuck

Bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK thanks. I will replace wax motor as a precaution and check out ebay, washer is working fine now, I am assuming that this resistor is a weak link and over time accumulated heat stress eventually leads to failure. Joe R
Thank you for using Just Answer.