Inactive
Inactive, Licensed Master Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
5968364

Our refrigerator is very hot to the touch on the ...

Customer Question

Our refrigerator is very hot to the touch on the middle strip between the two doors(side by side refrigerator) and one area on the outside left side middle of the freezer portion. What could be the problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
Do you have the type of refrigerator that has an vent on top? If so this is where your compressor and fan etc are located. Can you tell me if you have one of those?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Joseph's Post: There is no vent on the top. It is an Amana 1997.
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Hello

Is everything as cool as it should be ? Both freezer and fridge ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Hello

Did this just start or is it just something you just noticed ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have noticed it for a couple of days. I turned it off to let the areas cool down and then plugged it in. I checked it in a couple of hours, and it seemed fine. I checked it last night and again this morning, and it was again very hot.
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hello

When a frost free refrigerator goes into the defrost mode this is normal

I have a feeling this has been happening rite along and you just noticed it

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I shut down the refrigerator to unload it in anticipation that a repair man may be needed. While doing this, I noticed that the rubber seal around the freezer door at the bottom and up the bottom side about 6 inches had pulled away a bit and was letting cold air escape. Could this cause the refrigerator to run hot?
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.
I see glenn is offline right now so Ill answer this for him. It can definatly make the fridge run hot. What happens is that the compressor will have to run overtime just to maintian temperature. So when this happens, it will build up heat. Then the heat will transfer down the metal strip just like your experiencing.
Inactive, Licensed Master Electrician
Experience: ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 6 years ago.
Customer/p>

All side by side refrs have some form of heat between the fresh food and freezer on the mullion ( part you're feeling heat ) this is to prevent condensation from forming because there is a 40 deg. difference in the two sides of the fridge. It should not get this hot. Most newer refrigerators have a refrigerant line running through this mullion instead of an electrical heater. It leaves the condenser and returns to the condenser. If it is getting this hot its due to too long of run times. Remove the back panel of the fridge and make sure the condenser fan is running and / or not obstructed in some way, also see if the condenser coil ( coil under fridge ) is not excessively dirty as this will also cause this line going through the mullion to be warmer than normal.