Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

I HAVE A WIRLPOOL GOLD FRIDGE/FREEZER MODEL #GD5SHAXNS00 ...

Customer Question

I HAVE A WIRLPOOL GOLD FRIDGE/FREEZER MODEL #GD5SHAXNS00 AND WHEN I OPEN THE FRIDGE SIDE THE LIGHT COMES ON LIGHTLY AND THERE IS A BUZZING NOISE WHATS UP WITH THIS?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 9 years ago.

HeyCustomer#39;

Buzz is most likelycoming from the light switch. Unplug the fridge and pop this switch out of the liner ( it has tabs on sides that snap behind liner - use a small screwdriver . Now remove the two wires on this switch . Tape the wire ends together and plug back in . Light should come on. No buzz -- you have a bad switch ( part #1118894 ) Still got a buzz--- look for a bad light socket or bad connection on the socket. Thanks for using justanswer

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to tom goellner's Post: well thats not the problem.....   as i was leaving the door open i tracked down the buzzing noise and found it in the control panel in the rear of the fridge.   pulled cover off and the relays were doing the buzzing..... after a little while it started to smoke. i order a new one part # XXXXX thanks for your guess.
Customer Glad you solved it. The light burning dim is a mystery though.