Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

My dryer has power but only hums when you turn on the knob.

The vent is clear and clean. It only makes a humming sound when you try to start it. Once you turn loose of the knob, it stops the humming sound but the dryer will not start.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 9 years ago.

Yeah Tony,

When you hit the start button it energizes the start winding of the motor, once it starts it then runs on the run winding. So either the motor is shot or there is something caught in the blower wheel preventing the motor from turning ( a sock, coins , whatever ) You didn't provide make or model # so I can't tell you how to gain access to this blower. Don't feel bad 90% of our questioners don't tell us the make or model #. If you can't figure it out report back with this information and we'll look it up and respond. Thanks for using justanswer

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Oops sorry, the type is Frigidaire, the model is CRGR5700AS1. I can move the blower wheel freely by hand. The motor sits behind the blower so I cannot see it very cleary. You can see the back part of the motor from removing a vent from the back of the washer. Is it possible that the control thermostat which has its sensor directly in the air flow of the blower is bad from overheating?? thanks for your original email, I appreciate it. My lap top went down and i just got it back running again so I could not reply sooner.

Tony,

No the termostat is for the heating portion only. You have a bad motor. Thanks for using justanswer