Jesse Long
Jesse Long, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained and Warranty Certified for GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, Speed Queen, Amana, Electrolux
7171957

Having trouble with Maytag LAT9406AAE top load washer.

Customer Question

Having trouble with Maytag LAT9406AAE top load washer. Washer will not spin nor agitate. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jesse Long replied 6 years ago.

Hi!
If it does everything but spin or agitate, it is probably the lid switch. The lid switch only allows the motor to run (for agitate or spin) if it is depressed and working correctly.

Please unplug your unit before continuing!

Your lid switch assembly is located in the control panel on the top of the washer. To access it, remove the screws from the back plate. When looking in, you will see a square black plastic piece mounted to the frame. It has 2 switches on it. Take a look to see if the problem can be fixed by bending the metal contact. If not, and this is the most likely case, you will need to replace it.

This is the part you will need:
http://www.apwagner.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&model=22001682&model_num=LAT9406AAE&model_id=56313&brand_name=Maytag&description=SWITCH%20ASSY.,%20LID%20W/4AMP%20FUSE

If you have any questions, please ask them here. If you are satisfied, please click accept. Also, please leave me feedback so that I know how I am doing.
Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi jesse, not the lid switch. i've removed the lid and depressed the switch manually. when i turn the knob to the spin location, the water drains and the inner tub twitches once, like it wants to go but just doesnt have the power. belts are new, motor turning fine. i can manually turn the transmission and it is pretty stiff. not sure what its suppose to "feel" like, any ideas?

Hi!
It shouldn't be stiff. You should be able to lean it back a little bit (or put the front on blocks, and turn the belt manually both ways. If this takes too much effort, then you have a bad transmission. Is there any stains around the bottom of the insides of the unit? If so, this definitely signals a bad transmission/seal/bearing set up.
If there are new belts on it (less then 2 months old), the motor spins, and it doesn't agitate or spin, it is a bad transmission. Unfortunately, I replace a lot of these.
If the trans needs to be replaced, you are going to need a new seal as well.
There is some good news though:
How old is the unit? Check your owners manual to see if the transmission falls under warranty. I believe these units have a 10 year warranty, but I could be wrong. If this is the case, call your local authorized servicer to have the job done. You would pay the service call and the labor, and for the seal.

Thank you!