Glenn
Glenn, Mechanic
Experience:  over 30 years as a maintenance technician I have repaired many an Appliance I am also an electrician

I have a Amana dryer, unit was not heating, I have changed ...

Customer Question

I have a Amana dryer, unit was not heating, I have changed the heating element and sensors on element. Re assembled dryer and I still dont have any heat.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.
Glenn, Mechanic
Experience: over 30 years as a maintenance technician I have repaired many an Appliance I am also an electrician
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Hello

I see the chat didn't work for you are you still here ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes im still here
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Can you see the questions in my chat and if you can please answer them

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: tried to send you a message that the new heating element had 2 sensors to be installed, i did that and still have no heat
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Ok john

Do you own a meter ?

What is the model #?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: only saw your first question how many sensors
and meter
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Do you have a meter ?

Please provide the model #

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: meter yes
checking on model #
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: LE9207W2
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Click on this link and see if you replaced all the sensors there are pictures of them

I havt to go to dinner will be back in about 2 hrs

Here's the link

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/smartsearch.aspx?SearchText=%60ADryer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Glen,
I back to the Amana Dryer, I mentioned that I changed the heating element, it had 2 sensors, i used the diagram with the element, and i also changed the wires and re-installed them in the same positions on the new one. I checked continuity, on wires going to element, checked each wire individually, and even removed the motor and disconnected the wires from the heating element, i plugged the dryer in and started the dryer, carefully i tested the black wire which ran from the motor to heating element, i have 120 volts. I hooked up to heating element and heating element did not appear to be getting hot. checked continuity on element,sensors,and all also checked good. The orange wire which jumpers from heating element to temp sensor, and then goes to circuit panel on top. Dont know what else to check. Old heating element also checked out ok.
what do you suggest now.
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Hello
When you check the element what did you get ?u checked voltage ??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got 120 volts on meter
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Check the plug for 220 volts tell me what you get

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: I get 240 volts at plug
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
And at the element ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
120 VOLTS ON WIRE COMING FROM MOTOR PLUG GOING TO ELEMENT
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Helllo

Do you measure 220 volts at the 2 long blades ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I HAVE 220 VOLTS AT WIRING BLOCK AT BACK OF DRYER
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
OK good now do you have it at the element ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

GLENN,

MY BLACK WIRE GOES COMES FROM THE MOTOR CONNECTION PLUG AND GOES TO ONE SIDE OF THE LIMIT THERMOSTAT, THE OTHER SIDE OF THE LIMIT THERMOSTAT GOES TO THE HEATING ELEMENT. I HAVE 120 VOLTS ON BLACK WIRE. THE OTHER HALF OF THE HEATING ELEMENT I HAVE AN ORANGE WIRE COMING OFF THE OTHER END OF THE ELEMENT WIRE AND JUMPS TO THE THERMAL FUSE, ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THERMAL FUSE IT HAS AN ORANGE WIRE WHICH GOES UP TO THE CIRCUIT PANEL BOARD.

Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
OK good do you have voltgage there ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Glenn,

I have 120 volts on the black wire coming from the motor block, which goes to the limit thermostat, If i hook everything up and start dryer, heating element does not heat up.

This is how my dryer is hooked up.

1. 220 voltage at black power block on back of dryer.

2. Red wire from left side of block to circuit board.

3. Black wire to motor connection block

4. Black wire runs to Limit thermostat on heating element.
5. Black jumper from limit thermostat to Element.

6. Orange wire from Circuit board to Thermal fuse.

7. Jumper from thermal fuse mounted on back of heating element to other end of heating element.

I HAVE HOOKED EVERYTHING UP JUST LIKE IT WAS.

THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE HEATING ELEMENT BEFORE I CHANGED IT.

I DO HAVE 120 VOLTS ON THE BLACK WIRE COMING FROM THE MOTOR CONNECTION BLOCK (WHEN UN HOOKED FROM LIMIT THERMOSTAT.

WHEN I HOOK IT UP TO THERMOSTAT, I DO NOT SEE THE ELEMENT HEATING UP.

THERE IS NO POWER ON THE ORANGE WIRE COMING FROM THE CIRCUIT BOARD WITH DRYER RUNNING ( THIS WIRE ALONG WITH THE BLACK WIRE

CURRENTLY DISCONNECTED FROM ELEMENT.

WHEN I RUN THE DRYER, I HAVE CHECKED THE BLACK WIRE, AND IT HAS 120 VOLTS ON IT, AND THE ORANGE ONE DOES NOT HAVE ANY POWER ON IT.

I HAVE 120 VOLTAGE ON EACH SIDE OF THE DRYER RECEPTACLE, 220 ON THE BLOCK AT THE BACK OF THE DRYER, MOTOR RUNS, POWER IS 120 VOLTS ON BLACK WIRE LEAVING MOTOR BLOCK.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE CIRCUIT BOARD.

WHEN YOU READ THIS, AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY THING THAT I HAVE MISSED, TELL ME, AND I WILL ACCEPT YOUR ANSWER.

Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hello

I think you are correct it is in the control bord

Do you need help finding it ??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

GLENN,

AFTER ALL THE TIME THAT WE HAVE COMMUNICATED, AND SEEING THAT THE OLD HEATING ELEMENT OHMS CHECKED GOOD, AND SENSORS OHMS CHECKED GOOD, THE NEW ELEMENT IS THE SAME, SO BY PROCESS OF ELIMINATION I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT THE CIRCUIT BOARD IS THE ONLY THING LEFT THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM, THE WIRING ON EVERYTHING ELSE APPEARS TO HAVE CHECKED OUT. SO IM GOING TO SIGN OFF AND ACCEPT YOUR ANSWER. THANKS JOHN

Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

You don't need to accept unless your satisfied