DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 years with current appliance repair company
9105687

GE Refrigerator Model TFX20JRBG WW. Defroster doesnt ...

Customer Question

GE Refrigerator Model TFX20JRBG WW. Defroster doesn't seem to be working, and can't get freezer cold enough to keep ice-cream solid.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  DennisH replied 8 years ago.

Hello ,

I want you to remove the light lens in the fresh food side and advance the defrost timer till You hear a click and the compressor will shut off. You refrigerator is now in defrost go to the freezer and hold light switch in the off position and watch for a minute to see if You can see the heaters glow just like a toaster, You can see the glow through the louvers at the bottom of the back panel. here is what the timer and panel look like the advance knob for the timer can be accessed through the hole in the box behind light lens I circled the hole and timer in red for You>

graphic

It probably wont and You will need to replace this part>

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=773802&PPStack=1

Let Me know if You need anything else

Dennis

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hey,

My freezer coils were totally frozen up. I defrosted it with a hair dryer. I then pulled the defrost lamp. The filament was broken in two. I had this done before I got your answer. But, what your answer did for me is give me a good test to see if it is working. This will help after I replace the lamp. Thanks.
Expert:  DennisH replied 8 years ago.

Glad to hear I could help.

Dennis