DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 years with current appliance repair company
9105687

My washer (kenmore) stopped 1/2 way thru wash and wouldnt ...

My washer (kenmore) stopped 1/2 way thru wash and wouldnt cont or drain. Motor only hummed. I dipped all water out and took clothes out. started a new load and it has worked for couple wks. Same thing happened last night and I dipped all the water out again and tried a new load and it only hums.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Sounds like You have a sock or nylon in the pump there are a few cabinet designs so if You can send a model number I can give You exact directions on disassembly.

Dennis

DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience: 14 years with current appliance repair company
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I thought I had included that last time I tried it ended up smoking smelled like something burning. Please tell I didn't ruin it in my stupid attempt to save time in having to call someone to come out. The washer is a Kenmore and it will be 5 yrs old in June. Model #63012 7.5 cu ft
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.
Customer

I am unsure of damage yet, lets have You check a few things first,

I hate to be a pain but the model number You gave is coming up as a wringer washer,

Is this correct? 5years old You can still buy them but I want to make sure before I have You get started

Give the whole model number from the tag on washer should start with " 110. "

Thank You

Dennis

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to DennisH's Post: Dennis
Believe me you are not a pain. I am at your mercy. I don't want to get a new one unless I have to. However I don't want to spend $100 or more calling someone out. I've had it repaired for s-thing else w/in last 6 months so that would be already over $200. I'm here for several hrs if anyway you can get back to me. If you're working I certainly understand that. I was gonna get one today if we can't fix it. I just remembered the day he was here it started jumping at end of cycle. I never heard it before that day. He said it had probably been doing it but I had never heard it. It hasn't cont. to do it all the time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
oops forgot to give you the #24812200 its real faded so if that doesn't try a 3 or 5 for the 8
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.

OkCustomer

I'm going to put You to work =)

Strat by unpluging the washer, then pull the caps off the end of the console circled in red below>

graphic

Circled in yellow is the now exposed end caps to the console You should see two phillips head screws, remove these.

The console will slide forwad a little bit, lift up, and flip over the bak panel like Your opening a chest.

This will expose two gold colored clips and a three wire plug, disconnect the plug, and remove the clips.

Clips are easy to remove once You know how, Take a flat screw driver and where it goes through a hole in the cabinet NOT the back panel yYou should see where it will fit in there and You'll be able to flex the clip and it will pop right out.

Remove both of them.

The cabinet will now come off the frame open the lid and grab the cabinet at the front edge and tilt it towards You slightly and then take a step back sliding the cabinet towards You.

I want You to remove the pump to do this, locate the pump it is at the bottom in the front, grab a pair of pliers and seach of the two wire clamps holdingg the two hoses on to the pump and slide them down the hose away from the pump.

Here comes the water! when You pull these hoses off You will get water, first remove the to clips from the pump get under them with that flat blade screw driver and pry the ends off the pump, once the clips are off you can slide the pump out and remove hoses.

Inspect for foriegn objects.

let Me know what You find

Dennis

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I see where you wrote me at 620 but it just showed up on my computer bout hr ago. weird huh. n-e-way I have taken the 2 hoses off pump and front white plastic face of pump. Is this what you meant to slide or the metal part of motor behind that. I see nothing at this point.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey dennis
i started looking at it this am and i see a definite problem. the back panel has 2 red wires that connect to a white plastic case enclosing what looks like a D size battery and the 2 wires hook on one end. the 2 connectors look burned and rusted in fact one wire fell off when i picked it up.
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.

The Start capacitor and the wires going to it, next thing I was going to have You check, location is posted below>

graphic

Mounted to the right of the water inlet?

numbers 5 and 16?

If Yes its the cap Here is what the replacement looks like>

graphicgraphic

You will probably have to repair those spade connectors, if the connectors on capacitor look ok You could try to run it without replacing the capacitor first then if it still doesnt run then try replacing the capacitor, You can get one here>

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSearch/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=1180742&PPStack=1

Do you know how to repair those connectors?

Let Me know

as far as the pump You still may want to look inside it just to be certain while its off and before You put it back together>

graphic

graphic

Dennis

DennisH, Appliance Technician