Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

I have a Maytag dishwasher, Model # XXXXX S/N ...

Customer Question

I have a Maytag dishwasher, Model # XXXXX S/N 31965577SH. It was making a loud buzzing noise and not filling with water. I have replaced the fill switch and the motor/pump assembly, but still not working. Get the buzzing noise when we turn it on, at all settings. Any advice (besides getting a new dishwasher)?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

I'm not sure what you are calling a " fill switch'" unless you mean the float switch that 's there in case the water level get's too high. Follow the water line coming from your house hot water line ( it usually starts at a valve under the sink ) It goes to a solenoid operated valve under the tub of the dishwasher . Put your hand on it when you hear the buzzing . Is this where the noise is coming from? If yes - then either the valve is clogged up and no water is passing through or the valve is defective. Thanks for using justanswer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to tom goellner's Post: Hi Tom,

I appreciate your help with this problem.

When I follow that copper line, from the house hot water line, I come to the valve you describe. It is what I called the "fill switch" (it is located on the left side, facing the dishwasher). We replaced that with a new one, before we replaced the motor/pump. That is not where the noise is coming from.

The noise is coming from the right side, from what seems to be the "blower" unit. I also noticed some blue "sparks" inside the new relay, when I try to turn it one and hear the noise from the "blower". This relay is also located on the right side (it has the number "PK6 904967" on it). It has three wires going into it and is physically attached to the "blower" unit.

What do you think?

Hello again . Boy you've all ready spent a lot on this dishwasher . The blower relay - part #99001425 is $ 48.15 and the blower motor - part # XXXXX is $60.20 . Have you considered disconnecting these wires ( tape them up of course ) and just letting the dishes air dry ? Otherwise you're close to the price of a new dishwasher ( counting what you've all ready spent. Thanks for using justanswer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Tom,

I've spent about $200 on it, so far. I really don't want to spend more on it, unless I'm certain it will solve the problem.

More info: This morning, I turned the control knob, to start the dishwasher, and got the same buzzing noise as yesterday, but I did notice, as I moved the knob through all of the positions, that I occasionally heard water running into the dishwasher.

So, when I got back to the twelve-o-clock "off" position, I slowly turned the knob, just one "click",to the "Heavy Wash" position, and heard water filling the dishwasher. It filled with hot water, then I heard a brief "buzz", then nothing.

The control knob proceeded to move through it's paces, but no sound came from the dishwasher.

When the knob got about half-way to the "Normal Wash" position, I heard another brief "buzz". When it got to "Normal Wash", I heard another "buzz".

Then, about 3/4 of the way to "Light Wash", it did it again.

In between buzzes, the unit just sits there quietly, doing nothing.

What does that suggest?

All these quiet times are when the motor should be running to do the washing and pumping out. You say you've all ready replaced the motor / pump assbly and I don't see how you could have miswired it as it has a plug that only fits one way and it's not the door switch or it wouldn't fill so you're down to the timer itself - another expensive part. You could look at the timer where the wiring harness plug into it - pull the harness off and look into to it to see if any wires are burned,loose, etc. Does the timer at least advance on it's own without you manually advancing it ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Tom,

Yes, we just let the timer advance through all settings. The blower fan even came on, when it got to the dry cycle.