DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 years with current appliance repair company
9105687

I have a Frigidaire upright self defrost freezer model ...

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire upright self defrost freezer model #FFU20G9HW. I noticed recently the temperature will not rise above 20 deg at the coldest setting. I had two technicians from different companies diagnos this as a blockage in the system. The evaporator coil was frosted on the top half only. The first technician said they would replace the dryer in their shop only. The second technician replaced the dryer at my house but the temperature was still at 20 degrees. He said he would replace the dryer again and if this did not work it was likely the compressor. I am up to $150 in bills with no improvement. Any other suggestions on what could be causing the higher temperature. The compressor is still under warranty but I am uncomfortable with the replace and see approach to troubleshooting. Thanks Bob
Category: Appliance
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

If they where repairing the dryer this is part of the sealed system that should have been covered under Your warranty.

The only fees You should have had to pay would be a service fee but most companies I have delt with dont charge on warranty because they have contracts with the manufactuer.

If You only have a partial frost pattern and it doesnt get worse or better You have one of two possible problems, either a restriction in the cappilary tube or an inefficient compressor, more likely its the compressor.

Dennis

DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience: 14 years with current appliance repair company
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dennis,
Thanks. I replied to the email last night but apparently this did not get set to you.I did have a follow up question but was too tired Thursday night after you responded. I am on the east coast and crash early but rise early. You said the two likely causes for freezer temperature of 20 degrees are a pinched capillary or worn compressor. I failed to mention I can adjust the freezer temperature control from coldest setting of 6 to warmest setting of 1 and freezer temperature remains pegged at 20 degrees. Would this still point to a compressor or capillary or thermostat or something else?

Thanks,

Bob
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 6 years ago.
I agree with the first expert - - this should have been done under warranty. If they suspect a low capacity compressor (weak as you say ) they should have performed a capacity test on it . Easy to do - - while running , pinch off the suction line and the compressor should pull down to 20 inches Hg vacuum within three minutes , unplug cord and should hold this vacuum for a minimum of three minutes - - if not the valves in compressors are not seating well and you have a bad compressor . As far as your question about setting the dial lower and higher - - If it runs all the time at a warm setting and won't get cold enough then it for sure won't either at a colder setting . ( it's all ready running all the time ) Follow me ?. the control really is only telling the compressor how long to run- the longer it runs the colder it gets as a consequence.