Glenn, Mechanic
Experience:  over 30 years as a maintenance technician I have repaired many an Appliance I am also an electrician

The burner motor in my oil furnace kept popping the ...

Customer Question

The burner motor in my oil furnace kept popping the overheat button, so I replaced the motor. The start windings in the old one were bad. I restarted the furnace and the burner motor came on, but there is no ignition. I double-checked my connections and tested the ignition transformer which has about 8 ohms primary and about 22,000 secondary. I cleaned the contacts of the ignition unit and the electrode blades they contact. The tank is pretty low, but it was running this morning. Suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Turns out I didn't notice the small directional arrow on the pump body. The new motor was turning in the wrong direction. I reversed the polarity inside the motor, and everyting worked perfectly. The advise you gave me was helpful in eliminating other possibilities. Thanks.