DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 years with current appliance repair company

i have a daewoo ERF335MI fridge freezer - only 2 years ...

Customer Question

i have a daewoo ERF335MI fridge freezer - only 2 years old. It has tripped my fuse board out. I have swapped sockets - same result, i have changed fuse in plug - same result. I dont know where to start to be honest. Anything worth checking before i throw cash at a sparky!!??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on

My name is XXXXX XXXXX your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

In order for me to provide you with the best answer possible, please provide me with the following information:

1: Does the fust or breaker only trip when you plug the unit in? or

2: Does it trip out regardless of whether the unit is plugged in or now

3: Is your unit plugged into a gfci?

Once I have this information – I will be able to go to work on your answer right away.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1: Does the fust or breaker only trip when you plug the unit in? I came home today without any power in all sockets - i looked at the fuse board and found that the RCD switch had tripped. I turned everything off and switched the trip back on - I found that when i plug in the fridge and turn it on, it trips. I then did the swaps that i mentioned earlier - socket/plug fuse.

2: Does it trip out regardless of whether the unit is plugged in or now - it is all fine until i turn the switch on at the socket - it then trips immediately

3: Is your unit plugged into a gfci? i have done a search on this (as i did not know what it is) and i think it is something that would go between the plug and the socket - i do not have one of these. The trip that goes is a GE 80A, 30mA with a sticker saying RCD under it. (has a test button on it)

hope this info helps.
Regards
Alex
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

Ok unplug the unit from the wall. Re-energize the circuit. If the circuit holds and does not trip - then you dont need an electrician rather an appliance technician. Let me know once you do this. Thanks.

Hope this helps you out. If you need further assistance with this question or just need further clarification - please don’t hesitate to ask.

Please press the “Accept” button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Joseph,
Thanks for your time but i must say that I am in the same position a i was. I will certainly use this again and hopefully then i will catch up with you - i wont take up any more of your time but i was hoping to get an idea to test something to avoid calling someone out at £75.
Thanks anyway for your time.
Regards
Expert:  Inactive replied 6 years ago.

Not a problem. I will opt out - perhaps an appliance technician will jump in here as it seems to be more an appliance question then electrical. Good Luck!!
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

What I want You to do is start by placing the appliance in a location where You can plug the unit in but also access the front and rear at same time.

Once done I want You to remove power to the unit and the back panel and find the black steel capsule the size of a football this is the compressor on one side You will find the wiring to this, unclip or remove the cover and unplug the wiring to this part if the wires are bare or exposed try to seperate them with tape so they can not touceach other or the cabinet.

Now plug the unit back in and try to run it.

Let Me know what happens.

Dennis

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i found the compressor and the wires - they are not bare but the rubber covers on the spades are a little blackened - it also felt a little sticky. I cleaned them up and re attached then turned it back on but it just tripped out again. I watched the area to see if i could see a spark but could not see anything.
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.

OkCustomer

Sounds like You have a bad compressor, I am going to have You refer to You owners manual for warranty information on the sealed system If the system is still covered You will want to call Daewoo for an authorized repair company.

Dennis