DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 years with current appliance repair company

Freezer works but refrigerator is cool, but not cold.

Customer Question

the freezer is cold and works correctly. This is a top freezer / bottom refrigerator. Items in refrigerator aren''t cold. They are cool though. Temp setting inside refrigerator is almost at max and I cleaned out the freezer not long ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.
Customer

You are either having drainage, damper problems, or a defrost problem either one will restrict air flow to the fresh food compartment. Start by inspecting the freezer compartment does it have excessive frost build up behind back panel or possibly ice under the panel at the bottom of the freezer.

Send a model number with You reply and I will help You get started on this

Dennis

DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience: 14 years with current appliance repair company
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to DennisH's Post: i am getting some ice buildup on the back of the freezer. it is a Roper - RT18VKXJW00. In the refrigerator part there is a "hole" in the top that goes into the freezer. when i stuck my finger in it i felt ice (i think). that make sense? Thank you very much!!
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Clear out the freezer if not already done, remove the ice maker if equiped.

remove bottom panel from freezer by pulling plastic plugs from front edge>

graphic

Then remove back panel, has a few 1/4 hex head screws then release ground wire and ice maker harness>

graphic

You are most likely going to see the tray below the coil frozen over, using warm water or a hair dryer get this thawled out, then poor a few cups of hot water down the drain in the drip tray below the coil until it drains on its own.

Let me know how it goes

Dennis

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to DennisH's Post: I am "working" for awhile and will have to try this later this evening. Thank you very much and i will let you know how it goes!

Sincerely,
BrentM
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.

OkCustomer

I look forward to Your response.

Dennis

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Fantastic. It appears to be working. Lots of ice build up behind the back panel and let it thaw and overnight got back to its good 'ole coldness! Thanks for all your help!
Expert:  DennisH replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Was the coil iced up?

or just the drain and vent where iced over?

If it was the coil You have a defrost problem and its not going to last very long then it will be pluged up with ice again Please respond so We can get the defrost problem fixed if need be.

Thanks

Dennis