DennisH
DennisH, Appliance Technician
Experience:  14 years with current appliance repair company
9105687

My kithenaid dishwasher keeps blowing the thermal fuse ...

My kithenaid dishwasher keeps blowing the thermal fuse located in the front panel. I do not think it is because of heat. What can I look for?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  DennisH replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Start by inspecting the heating element for shorts to ground and for damaged or melted spots in the heater its self.

Dennis

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Ok, that is the obvious, It blows sometimes when the heat is not used. I do not think it is heat related, The thermal fuse is rated at 15 amps, could it be blowing from too much current? If it is heat, is the heat controled by a sensor or something.
Expert:  DennisH replied 9 years ago.
Customer

The 2 most common reasons for that fuse to open are the heater and the pump, just to make sure We are thinking of the same fuse You said in Your post the one in the control panel, the one snapped onto the side of the control mounting bracket?

Why dont You go ahead and send Me a model number and I can make be sure I am thinking of the same model.

Dennis

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, the fuse is in a white plastic clip that clips on the side of the plastic tray that contains the circuit board. Kithchen Aid KUDS01I
JBL1
Expert:  DennisH replied 9 years ago.

OkCustomer

Even though You dont have heated wash on, You may have heated dry on which uses the same heater, also the heater will come on if the water temp is to low.

Try to physicaly check the heater for burnt connectors or melted/damaged spots on the heater its self.

Does the pump hum louder than it used to? this may be a sign of a bad coil in the pump motor which will cause an amperage spike.

Dennis

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The motor sounds the same. Once when it blew there was water in the bottom but the other 3 times it was dry
Expert:  DennisH replied 9 years ago.
Customer

Realy sounds like the heater I would aggresively inspect the heater.

Dennis