Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

i have a 8 year old refridgerator top freezer bottom keeps ...

Customer Question

i have a 8 year old refridgerator top freezer bottom keeps my beer real cold but the top will not freeze anything i replaced the defrost coil still the same
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 8 years ago.

Hello dhop

What you're saying is very odd because fresh food section gets it cold air from the freezer compartment , so if the freezer does not freeze the fresh food section should be too warm as a consequence- - but let's have a look-see. What is the make and model # XXXXX your fridge ? Also is there a light in the freezer that comes on when door is opened ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its a frigidaire model frt18drhdo

OK dhop

I'd like you to remove the back panel inside the freezer , back where the freezer fan is located. This is where the evaporator ( cooling coil ) is located. We want to take a look at this coil . It should have a uniform coating of light frost on the entire coil. Tell me what you see and report back. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i looked at this and frost only on the very end right side as you look in side freezer

Well not good . Your fridge is nearly empty of refrigerant (freon). 8 yrs old I'm assuming it's R-134A.You can add refrigerant but unless you find the leak and fix it it will do this again. You have to be licensed to buy and use refrigerant per EPA unless you know someone you'll have to call for service or buy a new fridge. Thanks for using justanswer