Ask Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman Y...
Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman
Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman, 15 Years as Maintenance Technician
Experience:  15 Years in the Maintenance field

A Maytag FB10 garburator and the switch is ...

A Maytag FB10 garburator and the switch is malfunctioning. It won''t turn off. The only way to turn it off is to shut off the power to the devise. What is the most likely cause of this problem? What parts do I most likely need? Are these parts available?

This model is a batch machine with some sort of magnetic switch and the devise turns on when the sink drain plug is put in the sink drain (ie the top of the garburator) That is when it is working properly.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

If you have to go to the breaker to turn the power off, then you need to replace the switch on your contertop. Once you replace this switch, it will work just fine.

Hope this helps you out. If you need further assistance with this question or just need further clarification - please don’t hesitate to ask.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

Please press the “Accept” button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joseph's Post: Your answer does not help in this situation. There is no switch at the contertop. This is a batch machine and the switch is built into the garburator. The garburator turns on when the drain plug is inserted into the top of the garburator. It is some kind of a magnetic switch built right into the garburator.

I do apologize. This is out of my realm I am going to opt out so another expert can jump in. Good Luck!!

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok, let's take a look at this;

I see that Joseph has OPTED OUT, I will see if this will help you further

What I think the problem is, is that the "Automatic On Switch" is failing as you suspect, here is the part you will need to replace

Also here is a parts layout to help you see what you need to do to get to that switch, see part 8-18 of the drawing. Once you have replaced the switch it should shut off normally.

More parts on your unit can be purchased here

If you need more help Let me know

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

If there is anything else let me know, If not click accept. Thank You Michael L.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman's Post: Michael L.

Thank you for that information. It is very helpful.

One more piece of information. The plate on my garburator says that it is Model FB10 and SERIES 06.
When I go on-line and look at the list of parts there is a part "Relay-Start & Overload (Series 06)"
Is this the part I need or do I need the part you specified in your earlier email.

There is two auto relays in this unit, the parts breakdown is for the 06 series as you noted, the second one you mentioned looks like it has to do more with the overload, then the actual autostart, I don't see off hand where there is any difference except for the series 1, but it has been my experience with relays, that if you have one going out, and you are going to spend a few hours to replace it, you are best off to change all relays why you are already in there. My thought still are on the upper relay I mentioned first, this is the one that would be the first choice to be your problem in my opinion.

Experience: 15 Years in the Maintenance field