MrBill
MrBill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Electrolux Authorized Servicer, 7 Years of in home experience
9256417

I bought a bargain fridge from the Savlation Army. It ...

Customer Question

I bought a bargain fridge from the Savlation Army. It was a good buy except every time it shuts off the fan motor rocks and the compressor bangs. Is there something I could do to let it all shut off without the banging and popping. I called a repair service they said it was the condensor maybe that it would cost me about six hundred bucks to fix. He said when it shuts down cold air is pressed down? I don''t know, have you ever heard of this problem? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Suttlemyre
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your Problem, Could you let Me know what the make of the Refrigerator is?

Thank you

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Kenmore, it is a very good fridge. about 2005 model.
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

I don't like being the bearer of bad news but in my experience with those kenmores is you more than likely have a bad compressor, basically that machine will run fine, but when the supports inside the compressor housing completely break, No More Getting Cold, best way to describe it is, not good. I have seen many, many kenmores with the same problem. There really isn't anyway to stop the noise, except replace the compressor.

Anymore questions please feel free to ask,

Thank you again

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Don't you think that the rattling comprssor will stop fluently if the fan shuts down properly? Just a thought I have very little insight to this field. I have to live with it or maybe fix it . 150.00 dollars out. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Suttlemyre
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

Does the noise sound like someone hit the compressor with a hammer. Pretty much if thats the case there really isn't anything you can do for it. I have been out to work on customers appliances(not the fridge) and heard that bang and said,OH. And when I go take a peek at the fridge, its a kenmore.

I used to Sell Reconditioned Appliances and when I would go buy a load to rebuild I would steer clear of the really nice looking Kenmore Fridges, I'd always ask, even though I knew the Answer, "wonder why someone would get rid of this" For the Same Problem you are having. Not worth the repair I would have had to put to much in it to sell at a reasonable cost.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes it does sound like that. like a ball hitting the inside. I thought it was the fan motor that swivels between a mount as it starts and stops. anyway,Thanks JBS
Expert:  MrBill replied 8 years ago.

Your Welcome, anytime. Like I said before, don't mean to bring bad news.

Thank you Again for using JustAnswer.com

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry I took so long.question. Does it have anything to do with the fan (motor) or starting and stopping?