Inactive
Inactive, Licensed Master Electrician
Experience:  ----------JA Verified Electrical Expert!!----------
5968364

Kitchen sink trash compactor

Customer Question

My kitchen sink trash compactor does not work. It will not even turn when I click on the outlet. What do i need to do to fix it
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Are you referring to a garbage disposal?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Joseph's Post: Yes, under the kitchen sink. Where food is compressed etc
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Ok - 1st thing you want to do is press the re-set button on the unit itself. If this unit has one, it will be on the very bottom of the disposal. If that does not help - check your breaker in the panel to be sure it did not trip. How you do this is by physically pushing on each breaker handle to see if it has "Play". If you find one that does - thats your tripped breaker. Then you need to turn it all the way off then back on again. That will re-set the breaker. Now if that does not help, make sure you have power at the outlet. If you dont have a plug tester, you can use a small lamp for this. Push the re-set button on the outlet, make sure it is energized. Now if you do all of that and it still does not work, you will need to look closely at your switch. Toggle the switch - if if feels loose or intermittently triggers the unit, then you need to replace the switch. If all else fails - your unit will need to be replaced.

But try what I suggest in the order of which I stated them.

Hope this helps you out. If you need further assistance with this question or just need further clarification - please let me know. Have a great day.

***I am a Verified state "Licensed" electrical contractor, not an internet researcher - I will work hard to give you the exact answers you seek and work you through any problem you may have***

Please press the “Accept” button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services.

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just looked in the sink an the official name is "Food Waste Disposer" (erator)
Expert:  Inactive replied 8 years ago.
Ok - again follow what I outlined for you above. Then let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry for the payment delay. Your feedback was great. Based on you feedback I purchased another waste disposer and installed it per your instructions. Thanks!