The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My washing machine does not rinse, drain, or spin. The ...

My washing machine does not rinse, drain, or spin. The only thing that it will do is wash, nothing else.
need make and model. also do you mean it fills with water and agitates but it never advances to the next cycle? can you manually advance timer or change the cycle on electronic models to get it spin?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Its is a Kenmore Heavy Duty. Model #:110-82427830 The serial #: A2161349

Yes it does fill with water and agitates but it doesn't do anything else we even tried to manually advance the timer but nothing. Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have not got a reply yet and its only been 7 hours later. Will someone please reply? Thanks

Hi Customer;

The problem you are having is the lid switch. If it goes out the unit will not spin. The unit should still drain though. If the unit will not drain then you may have a bad timer or the motor is bad.

The lid switch is not a difficult repair but it is not something that I recommend a novice DIYer try to do.

Please advise if you would like to do the repair yourself and I will provide you with a link to the service manual for your unit.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Do you think it is worth fixing or should we just buy a new one? Thanks

The lid switch is a common problem but once replaced should give you plenty of years of service. I do not recommend replacement of the unit. Just the lid switch.

If done by a tech it will run you about 100.00 to 150.00.

These are good units for the most part. But like all machines they have their problems. This and the drive coupler are about the worst problems most owners have with these units.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The washer also does not drain, so could that be a bad timer or the motor, or does that have anything to do with the lid switch? Because if it is the motor I don't think it would be worth fixing what do you think? Thanks
This is a symptom of the problem. The unit needs the proper signal from the lid switch to go into the drain, and then the spin cycle.
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances