The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

i have a maytag dryer model mde508dayw the power wire ...

Customer Question

i have a maytag dryer model mde508dayw the power wire coming from motor to heater at first ceramic spade connector is melting literaly melting like a dead short i fixed it once ,was ithoght loose but it did it again i used amulti meter to checkheater, high limit ,an cyclethermostatshould they be normaly open or closed and there is a sensor at blower housing what is this and can or do u have any advice
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

Hi Ed;

This sounds like you have a direct short to ground in the system. Disconnect the end of the heater coil furthest from the burnt connector. Test at the point where the connector is burning to ground. You should not have any continuity with the unit off. If you have continuity start at the furthest connection in the circuit and remove it. Contiunue till there is no continuity. This will be the point of thr direct short. Replace the bad part, and you should be good to go.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with.
I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it seems that the contact ,the connector was not cleaned well enough after the first meltdown happened which was due to aloose connection i did what you described an found continuity in all circuts i actualy did it the first time ended up being scored conneector
Continuity in the circuit is what you want. What you dont want is continuity to ground
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i think you misunderstood please re read my last message i did not check continuity to ground i checked the circuts it is the connector that melted was not cleaned i put a new connector an did not clean the burnish off, the first time MELT DOWN was due to loose connector a female spade connector from the factory thanks ED