Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  Very handy with appliance troubleshooting and repairs.

I have a Kenmore Electric Dryer. It stopped producing heat ...

I have a Kenmore Electric Dryer. It stopped producing heat last week. I opened it up and can''t determine if the heating element is bad or not. The coils are not broken and the connections and terminal are intact. I cleaned the unit, while I had access to the areas and the exhaust hose was never blocked. As I traced the wiring, I found several thermostats and i believe sometype of fuse(?). I guess. I one of the working poor and pray that you can help us. I told my wife i could this thing or find out what''s wrong, without paying for a service call(67.00

If you have a multi meter, you can switch it to ohms and put it across the thermostats and thermal fuses which typically look like this:

If your meter reads zero then the device is good. If your meter reads 'OL' then the device is open and will not pass current.

Disconnect any wiring from the devices before you test them.

You can buy these on line for a few dollars.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Steve G's Post: Can the heating element be visually inspected to determine if it is defective.

Sure. It is a big element. The break should be visible.

You can also put a meter across the terminals. You should get an ohm reading. If you get an 'OL' on your meter, the element is broken.