The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

i want a four foot wide thermador stove with a large, ...

Customer Question

i want a four foot wide thermador stove with a large, fireplace like mantel/vent overhead. i wanted the mantel area to sit on the base cabinet with columns what is the fire code on this as far as planning the columns to support the mantel/vent as far as spacing from the stove to the left and right and above the stove.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 8 years ago.

Hi imbinteriors;

As for the height there is a 24" minimum from combustable surfaces with proper ventillation provided. The sides require at least 12" from combustable surfaces.

The unit can not be fully enclosed on the sides. Maximum from the back of the unit is one third the surface of the unit. The rest must remain open for at least 24" on either side of the unit.

So if you have a 30" counter top with a typical slide in unit you can have a mantle at 24" above the unit with 10" supports on the sides measuring from the wall out. The supports must be 12" from the stove edge.

Now if you were to cover the supports with a cementious material and show that it is a fire resistant surface then you may be allowed to bring them in closer. But that will take some serious convincing of the inspector to do that.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with.
I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks so much for the excellent info. you gave me exactly what i needed. i hope to use this service again and appreciate the quick response.