Ask Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman Y...

Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman
Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman, 15 Years as Maintenance Technician
Experience:  15 Years in the Maintenance field

Kenmore electric range, model 790.45792. Accidentally ...

Customer Question

Kenmore electric range, model 790.45792. Accidentally pressed the clean button and up arrow instead of broil and up arrow to make some toast. The door was slightly open so I could observe the toast and not burn it. The oven tried to lock the door for the clean cycle with the door open and now is hung up in that mode. There must be a reset sequence that will clear this problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman replied 6 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer,

Ok, let's take a look at this;

This is copied from your manual

To cancel the lockout feature, push CANCEL OFF pad hold for 3 seconds. The control will unlock the oven door and resume normal operation.

If you need more help Let me know

If you find this post helpful please take a few minutes to leave Feedback.

By you leaving Positive Feedback you give your Expert additional opportunities to earn extra CASH and Recognition.

If you would like to give a Bonus they are always welcome.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Michael L....JA Appliance Repairman's Post: I have a copy of the manual to which you refer and hav tried that numerous times with no response. The display jus changes from the clock to dor and then back to clock.

The manual on page 27 "trouble shooting" says press a clear button which does not exist.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
A canned answer on another website said to get into technicians programming to clear this problem.

I see that too on page 27, but the is a * next to it, which might mean on certain models.

there really isn't to much technical about them that you can do without the repairman's specific tools.

What you might try is, unplug it for 5 mins, then see if it resets the whole oven, if not try the combination above again.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I turned off the circuit breaker for a full day to stop the beeping. When I turned power back on, it was doing the same thing. I reset the clock and tried to do the cancel/off for three seconds. Display changes to dor then back to clock. Have tried this over and over. Now it shows an F9 trouble code

Have you ever used a Meter to check connections and switches? Are you familiar with doing electrical Diagnostics?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. I have a DVM and am experienced in trouble shooting & diagnostics.

ok, EXCELLENT, I had a Assist that has a troubleshooting manual, it tells you how to check the door latches and switches. This is for a whirlpool, but they are very similar. This would be the next thing to do. Of coarse I must say do this at your own risk, take your time and make sure to keep track of your parts.

here is the assist

Quote:

http://rapidshare.com/files/97645656/Service_Professional_Seminar-Electric_Ranges.pdf

To download this file:

On the first page scroll down to the bottom and select "FREE"

On the next page enter the letters in the box and select "download"

Save the file to your hard drive and open it with a .pdf reader

I looked at this manual and it looks like it will help you troubleshoot your problem.

If you need more help Let me know, if not please click Accept