Bernard S.
Bernard S., HD TV, Large Appliance Sales
Experience:  27 Years Managing Stores, Operations and Selling Appliances
8697087

my dryer is not heating up

Customer Question

the dryer was just instaled and its not heating up or not even warm
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bernard S. replied 6 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.

Hi Maria,

You left the chat. The circuit breaker is a double breaker and often one side will work and the other will not. This will give you power at the dryer and maybe the motor will turn. However, you will not get enough voltage for heating. This is comon with new installs. Who did the hookup?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i just plugged the dryer in myself

Maria,

Were you able to check the circuit breaker panel? It really is a very comon occurence.

Bernie

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Bernie R.'s Post: what exactly should i look for?

In your home's circuit breaker panel you will see single breaker (like little light switches) and double breakers (two singles tied together). One of the double breakers is for your dryer.

Hopefully the dryer's double breaker is labeled. If not, you will have to determine which double breaker it is. You may have another double breaker for an electric range, and another one for your heating system.

Let me know if you are unable to find it. I can give you more info to find it.

Flip the breaker off. Wait a couple of minutes and flip it back on.

I am assuming you have a standard electric 220 volt dryer.

If you have a gas dryer then this is NOT what we should be focused on.

So, let me know if I can help you any more.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i checked and flipped the breaker. started the dryer and its still not getting warm.
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 6 years ago.

Hi Maria;

Bernie is off line at the moment.

You say that the unit is newly installed, but you dont say if the unit is new. Is it new or a used unit?

The make and model number would be helpfull also.

Ok. I have to go to work right now. I will be online later this evening if the following doesnt answer your question.

If the unit isa a used one then most likely the heating coild will need to be replaced. As they are used they become britle and easily damaged by a suden loss of momentium during a lowering operation gone bad (someone drops the unit). this is a common occurance when transporting a used dryer.

Depending on the unit these are mostly all readily available, and many arenot that hard to install.

If this answer satisfies your question please click on the accept button. If it does not, please tell me so. You are not expected to accept any answer that you are not happy with.
I do expect you to let me know if you are not satisfied, and what I can do to put a smile on your face.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please tell someone about us.
Best regards; The Home Smithy
After you have accepted it is important that you leave positive feedback.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is used and it is a whirlpool
model # XXXXX
how will i know if the heating coild needs to be replaced?

Hi Maria,

OK.... I think a little more info will help.

You state that it is used. Did you see this dryer working before you decide to take it?

If you did see it working- Just to be 100% test the outlet for voltage. You need some experience with electricity. If you do NOT have any, PLEASE find someone who does because the voltage at the outlet is very dangerous.

If you did not see the dryer working, it is very likely that the coil does need to be replaced. Do you have a voltmeter and have you ever done any type of parts replacement on some other item.

Turn the circuit breaker off. You can examine the coil after removing the cabinet. Any breaks or obvious damage means you need to replace it. EVEN if it looks good you test the resistance with the ohm meter. You're looking for about 1100 ohms. Too much or too little and it's bad.